Which Traffic Management Training Do I Need?

Not sure where to start with traffic management, then look no further.

We specialise in NRSWA Streetworks training courses, however we do get a lot of queries from clients not sure what training they need to carry out traffic management.

We try and cover some of the basics to hopefully point you in the right direction.

What is traffic management?

In simple terms traffic management can be seen as safely directing vehicles and pedestrians around a ‘disruption’ in the road.

The ‘disruption’ could be anything from works done by a utility company (water/gas/electric), construction works, potholes being filled, a car accident, a local event to tree trimming and much, much more.

How does traffic management work?

At the most basic level it will involve putting out equipment such as:
 -  cones and barriers around the ‘disruption’
 - signs to warn vehicles and pedestrians of the upcoming ‘disruption’
 - potential lights or stop/go signs to let traffic pass safely one lane at a time.

There is a lot more to it than this, there are specifics into what equipment is used when, where and how, and who needs to be made aware of what is happening for example.

But this is what the training and qualifications will cover.

What are the qualifications you need?

There are 2 types of qualifications that you may need to do traffic management on the roads:

1.     NRSWA Streetworks Signing, Lighting and Guarding Units O1/S1 (previously known as Unit 2/10)
2.     Lantra NHSS Scheme 12 (covers TTMBC, 12A/B/C/D)

When do you need NRSWA?

If you are doing any traffic management on local authority roads, you will have to hold either the NRSWA Unit O1/S1 or a Lantra Qualification 12d. 

The Unit O1 is for the person (operative) doing the physical work.

Unit S1 is for the person (supervisor) who supervises the works.

(The O1 and S1 needs to be 2 separate people.)

The local authority roads are those up to 60mph single carriageway, or up to 40mph dual carriageway (we will also refer to them as low speed roads).

NRSWA was originally designed for the utilities industries so they could set up temporary traffic equipment around their place of work, fixing, replacing or repairing their utility.

But now it can apply to all that work on the roads, including tree surgeons, events staff, street cleaners and many more.

That is because the Streetworks scheme is used by all local authorities and highway departments to monitor, enforce and educate companies working on the roads.

To get qualified: it is a one day course covering both delivery and practical exercises.

When do you need Lantra?

Lantra have many schemes that apply to works on the roads. Sector Scheme 12 covers traffic management and there are various subgroups within scheme 12.

High Speed
If you will be installing and dismantling temporary traffic management on high speed dual carriageways and motorways they you will need to qualify in 12A/12B or 12C works through Lantra.

NRSWA does not apply to high-speed roads at all.

Low Speed
If your traffic management works will be carried out on the low speed roads then Lantra offer the 12d scheme, these groups of courses cover all aspects of The Safety at Street Works and Road Works A Code of Practice book, or ‘red book’.

To get qualified: a number courses to include classroom and also live road practical’s

Lantra or NRSWA on low speed roads?

You need to hold either the NRSWA Streetworks Unit O1/S1 or Lantra 12d to carry out the traffic management on local authority roads.

A lot of local authorities now don’t mind either qualification so long as there is a trained operative, so if you have 12d and not NRSWA then that should be ok, and vice versa. 

To be sure it is always best to check with the local authority and/or your manager before you start work.

Occasional traffic management only?
Those who may be doing occasional and simpler traffic management duties, for example a fibre technician, a gas engineer or a tree surgeon, the NRSWA Streetworks qualification alone should be all they need.

Full time traffic management?
If you are just starting out within traffic management gaining the NRSWA qualification is a good place to start, it provides the basics of the role and provides a good starting knowledge.

Then moving on to the Lantra 12d qualifications will greatly improve your skills and knowledge as the 12d training is longer and more in-depth than the NRSWA training.

Lantra 12d is recommended for those doing full time traffic management as well as larger and complex traffic management that involve the use of temporary traffic lights and full road closures etc. 

But what about Chapter 8 training?

Another common question is does the traffic management course cover Chapter 8?

Now, Chapter 8 refers to a chapter in the governments Traffic Signs Manual, which gives guidance on the use of traffic signs and road markings.

Chapter 8 provides codes of practice for temporary signing, lighting and guarding.

Safety at Street Works (red book) is a concise version of Chapter 8 used in both NRSWA Signing, Lighting and Guarding Unit O1/S1 and also the Lantra NHSS Scheme 12d training.

So, to answer the question both qualifications will cover Chapter 8.

How to book your training?

If its NRSWA Signing, Lighting and Guarding Units O1 or S1 that you need you can call us to book your course on 0333 301 0226.

If you need the Lantra NHSS courses you can find out more at lantra.co.uk

Or if you have any questions about traffic management or would like to know more, feel free to call us on 0333 301 0226 or email us at [email protected]